Have you chosen a scripture verse to guide you through the new year? Many people in the Christian blogosphere choose a word or a scripture to guide them through the year, rather than making New Year’s resolutions.  This year I decided to incorporate both a word and a scripture. My word for 2017 the year is Contentment.

Contentment

Last year when I attended She Speaks I visited the prayer room. For those of you who don’t know about She Speaks, it is a conference hosted by Proverbs 31 Ministries that equips women in their calling to write and speak for Jesus. The prayer room at She Speaks is indeed a special place. In the middle of this candlelight room, there is a table with a basket that contains hundreds of tiny little scrolls, each containing a scripture verse. Every woman that visits the prayer room has an opportunity to chose a scroll. Each woman in attendance of the conference has been prayed for, and the basket of scripture verses has also been prayed over.

Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.-Proverbs 31:25

The scripture I choose is Proverbs 31:25, and this is the same verse that I choose to share with the women in a small group I was leading for an event at my church a few years earlier. Then in December when I began planning for the New Year ahead, I decided to attend the She Laughs Conference. Do you see a theme here? Me too, and that is how I choose my scripture for 2017.

I love what the Matthew Henry Commentary says about the Proverbs 31 woman regarding verses  31:10-31, and I want to share a section with you here.

She is discreet and obliging; every word she says, shows she governs herself by the rules of wisdom. She not only takes prudent measures herself, but gives prudent advice to others. The law of love and kindness is written in the heart, and shows itself in the tongue. Her heart is full of another world, even when her hands are most busy about this world.

Michael Hyatt in chapter 4 of his book Living Forward says that as a part of the Life Plan you create, you must think about your legacy, how you want to be remembered and create your own eulogy.

Oh, how I long to be known as a wise woman full of love and compassion. Lord, help me to live my life by wisdom and give prudent advice to others. I don’t know what lies ahead in 2017, but what I do know is that I can look to future and laugh because I am clothed with strength and dignity.

I look forward to sharing my update with you all when I return from She Laughs next week,  along with another scripture that I plan on using to define my year. Until then, I would love to know if you have chosen a scripture to meditate on in 2017. Leave a comment below with your word or verse for the year!

Jesus & Coffee Linkup

jesus-and-coffee-e1484167920250

Crystal Twaddell

1. My verse this year goes along with my word “FOCUS” – 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, but especially verse 26 “Therefore, I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air.” In striving to be all that I am to be, I want my actions to be intentional and beneficial.

Proverbs 31:25 is so beautiful as a verse that sums up the wonderful woman in that context!

Liked by 1 person

1. Hi Diligent woman! I love the word FOCUS along with the words intentional and beneficial. As you focus your time being intentional with Jesus it will be beneficial! Blessings ❤️️

2. Elizabeth Joy 01/11/2017 at 11:02 pm

I love this! My word for this year is JOY, and I’m focusing on John 15 and Romans 15:13. Thanks for this encouragement to be so intentional.

Liked by 1 person

1. Hi Elizabeth, I love your word! I have a beautiful painting in my dining room with John 15, but Romans 15:13 is packed full of goodness! Thanks so much for sharing ❤️

3. My word for the year is Act, and my verse is Isaiah 26:3. The word is about taking action and the verse is about trusting God. I need both this year! I hope to enter that unique prayer room at She Speaks 2017. It’s been my dream to attend for years and I’m looking forward to realizing the dream this time! Your linkup neighbor from #freshmarketfriday.

Liked by 1 person

1. Sarah, Love your word and your verse! Get on the waiting now, because She Speaks fills up quickly!!! There were 1,000 people on the wait list last year that didn’t make it in. You will LOVE She Speaks!!! I hope you get to go!! ❤️️

Liked by 1 person

1. I keep checking the website and Compel, but haven’t seen the links yet. I’m checking daily because I know it fills up super-fast. Thanks for the tip!

Liked by 1 person

2. I think Compel members get an email as soon as it is open. You probably want to go ahead and book a hotel now. You can always cancel if you don’t get in. I know from my She Speaks group the hotels were filling up. ❤

Liked by 1 person

3. Thanks for this insider tip, Misty!

Liked by 1 person

4. Hi, Misty! This is my first time here! I love your picture of hibiscus! They are so beautiful.
    Psalm 91 and John 15 – dwell/abide are my Scriptures/words.
    I wrote about it briefly at:

I hope you’re enjoying your conference!
    God bless you and yours as you draw closer to Him.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much for stopping by today, and sharing your words and scriptures. I look forward to checking out your post! Blessings ❤️️ Misty

Liked by 1 person

5. Good morning! First time here, and I’m excited to meet another She Speaks graduate. I loved,the prayer room when I attended and the name of God chosen for me was just right! What is,She Laughs? My word is “Gather” this year. Have a blessed day!

Liked by 1 person

6. Hi, Susan- Nice to meet you and thanks so much for stopping by today! She Laughs is a fun conference ministry founded by Katy Mccown to encourage women to be clothed and dignity and strength, and laugh about the future. Katy is a homeschool mom of 6, a writer for P31 and her husband Luke plays NFL football for the New Orleans Saints. Here is a link to the conference http://katymccown.com/she-laughs-conference/ Lisa Allen of P31 and Shari Braendel of Fashion Meets partner with her to make this a very special weekend. Check back later here later this week for a recap of the weekend. Thank you for sharing your word, and may God bless you abundantly this year! ❤

7. […] Did you make a New Year’s resolution this year?  How is that going for you? I am not good at making resolutions, but I usually start the new year with great aspirations and intentions. Instead, we take stock of the past year and make plans to improve in the coming year. This year I choose the word Contentment and a scripture to focus on. Do you have a Scripture of the Year? […]