Have you seen the television show This is Us?have a love/hate relationship with this show. I love it, but I bawl like a huge baby through each episode! One episode in particularly really hit home. Dr. K comes out to give Jack the bad news that one of his triplet babies is stillborn. Jack is completely stunned and is trying to process what has just happened. Dr. K tells Jack that he and his late wife lost a child when they were first married and how he thinks of that baby every day. He encourages Jack by saying if “you can take the sourest lemon that life hands you, and make something out of it that resembles lemonade, then maybe one day you can provide another man hope.” Wow! I bawled as I watched this… I sobbed uncontrollably.

He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.”
2 Corinthians 1:4 (NLT)

This week, a picture popped up on my facebook memories from 7 years ago. I took a look at this picture and the smile on my face and thought, “I can’t believe all that has happened in my life in the 7 years since this photo was taken.”

17975_1205810828229_2568765_n

When this picture was taken, I was in my 30’s and I have a huge smile on my face, not knowing what the years ahead would hold. My husband had just bought me a BMW. We were living the American Dream with our home in the suburbs, our 3 kids, and a dog. We were surrounded by family and friends, and life was good.

I was homeschooling my boys, living life, and the future was bright. Much to my surprise a few weeks before my 40th birthday, I found out that I was pregnant!

I birthed and buried my baby that following year.

My long-awaited son was stillborn. Within a short period of time, I went from living life on the mountaintop of life to quickly descending into years of agonizing, soul-crushing pain.

Life didn’t stop and I didn’t slow down. I pushed the pain down, put on a happy face and just kept going. In between my days of intense grief, there were happy times too. I helped  Jacob start a Model NATO debate league for high schoolers, and host conferences and workshops. Most of my days were filled living life to the fullest loving my sweet husband, homeschooling the boys, going to church, doing Bible Study, cooking tons of meals and washing a million loads of laundry, traveling across the country with Jacob and Ian for Speech and Debate, and driving Connor back and forth to therapy and school.

Jacob later graduated from our homeschool, took a gap year, and it was during this time that the health of my mom rapidly declined. We spent our Christmas that year going back and forth to the hospital. My mom was put on life support, and after many years of pain and suffering and battling illness, she died a few days after Christmas. After her death, I cried nearly every day for almost a year and I was consumed with grief. In between my days of intense grief, there were good times, but this season was marked by agony and major life transitions. We were in a serious transition period. We moved for the first time in 15  years, Jacob started college, and Peter changed jobs!

After we moved, I struggled to get our life back to normal, although I am not really sure our life has ever been “normal.” We moved into our home 2 weeks before the new school year started. On top of that, we began renovations on our home immediately. Things were pretty chaotic.

A few months after we moved into our home, and eleven months after the death of my mom, my dear sweet Mother-in-Law suddenly and unexpectedly passed away. This sent rippling effects through our immediate and extended family. Once again we found ourselves devasted by loss and heartbroken in the valley of the shadow of death.

Fall turned to Winter and Winter turned to Spring.

fullsizeoutput_18f3

We found ourselves out of the valley and back on the mountaintop of life again. We continued our home renovations, bought new furnishings, and put in a pool. Things were finally looking up, and it looked like 2015 was going to be a great year, and it was until spring break came, and I broke both of my arms in a bicycle accident and was incapable of doing anything for myself for weeks on end. My guys had to feed me, dress me, brush and floss my teeth, fix my hair and do my makeup. They literally had to do EVERYTHING for me! During my recovery, God was very near and taught me many things. After months of healing and therapy, I was finally beginning to get my life back.

Soon after we discovered that Connor was not Autistic, but that he was suffering from PANDAS and Auto-Immune Encephalitis. Which began months of intense medical inventions and therapies.

Most recently, I hit my head and suffered a concussion, and was laid flat on my back in complete darkness and silence as I healed. I was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, and for weeks I suffered the effects of that concussion. I spent hours in my room by myself in the dark completely overwhelmed by sight and sound. I am still feeling some of the side effects of my concussion today, and hope that the symptoms soon reside.

It is filled with both personal victories and mountaintop experiences in between the valleys. Life has continued to give us some of the most bitter pills we have ever had to swallow, but through it all, we have become stronger as a family. We have become closer to our Saviour. We have learned that life is hard, but God is good. He gives us beauty for ashes, and His Love for us incomprehensible! It is not just about taking lemons and making lemonade.

With Jesus, the scripture says, we can do all things! No matter what the future holds, for those who are in Christ, we are clothed with strength and dignity and do not need to fear the future. We know God is with us and that he loves us and wants good for us. He has given us a hope and a future, no matter what comes our way!

My friend, I don’t know what lemons life has given you. Your hard is not my hard but hard comes in all shapes and sizes. The road ahead may be uncertain, but I am here today to tell you that no matter what you are going through today, it is temporary and cannot be compared with the glory that awaits us in heaven! Press on, and continue to fight the good fight of faith.

button-125px

Moments of Hope

1. What a blessing, Misty. I love this: My hard is not your hard. Sometimes we want to compare our hard to someone else’s to make us feel better (or worse!) than them. Thanks for sharing your story and your lemonade!

1. Thanks so much Christa! I am glad it blessed you. Hope you have an amazing day in the Lord. <3
      Misty

2. Misty, this is beautiful. Your heart for the Lord and others in a hard place is so tender and full of hope. I pray many women are blessed with peace, comfort, courage and hope from what you have shared of your story and God’s goodness and faithfulness. Love you!

1. Shauna, Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement! I am so thankful we are on this journey of life together. We have walked through many of Valleys and Mountaintop experiences together and I am honored to call you friend! Love you too!

3. Oh, sweet soul. This was so hard to read because it’s hard to hear about someone suffering through so much. How sweet to know that through it all you could be comforted by the One who gives endless comfort. Xo

1. Jerusha, Thank you for your sweet comments. Our Christian walk isn’t always easy, but nothing compares to our future glory! James 1:2-4 ESV Says “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. <3 Misty

4. Hi, Misty! I told you I would come for a visit! I am so glad I did! What an encouraging word today! We all have hard, although your hard and my hard may be different the principle is the same! Jesus is the comfort in all of hard! Thank God for His comfort! Enjoyed my visit! God Bless!

1. Lisa, Thank you so much for stopping by today! Jesus is indeed the comfort in all of hard! Matthew 5:4 says, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” Blessings, Misty

5. Wow. I love/hate the show too. Not for the same reasons, but while watching this one, I wept for those who have lost children. And in a way I guess I wept for you from a distance. But after reading your post, the tears on my face now are much more personal. Thank you for sharing you.

1. Hi! Joy, Thank you so much for your sweet comments! You are precious, and I pray that your day is filled with much JOY! <3 Misty

6. I love, “Your hard is not my hard but hard comes in all shapes and sizes.” So true and a good reminder.

7. Hi! Stacy, We all go through difficult seasons! It is about trusting Jesus with our life and our circumstances, no matter what comes our way! Blessings, Misty

8. I found your blog though a facebook group called…Journey feed blogging community…your hard is a lot harder then mine. But I believe god never gives us more then we can handle…Look at job and his hardship.
    If you fine the time stop in for a cup of coffee

1. Hi Dora, Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Blessings, Misty

9. Wow, Misty, what a testimony. And, what a testament to God’s strength in weakness. Beautiful words of hope, Misty. ((hug)) Thank you for sharing with #ChasingCommunity, today. ((blessings))

1. Brenda, Thank you so much for your kind words, when we are weak He is strong. I am loving the link up, thanks so much for hosting #ChasingCommunity!! <3 Blessings, Misty

10. Yes, Misty we all have different “hard” seasons for various reasons and mostly known only to us and our Heavenly Father. Yes, that lemonade can taste sweet or sour, it mainly depends on our perspective and trusting in His all-knowing love and guidance. Blessings to you as you travel this path.

11. Jill, Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope it was a blessing to you! <3 Misty

12. We all have our own brand of hard! Such truth and wisdom! It’s in those hard places that God refines is. He never said this life would be easy, but that we can have hope and peace knowing we have eternal paradise to look forward to! Blessings, friend!

1. Hi! Liz, So true. I am so thankful for His mercy, and abundant love and grace. Our hard is what the Apostle Paul refers to as “temporary affliction” which can not be compared to the glory that awaits us!! Have an amazing day! ❤️️Misty

13. Misty, I love what you shared, that it is all about trusting Jesus with out circumstances, no matter what they are or how hard they seem… also, you said your hard is not my hard and visa versa — how very true this is indeed. Thank you for sharing the good and bad, the ups and downs and the raw realness of life. I am so sorry for your many losses, but so glad that you seem to be navigating and moving forward, hand in hand with Jesus and your family.. healing as you go. Blessings and so grateful to be your neighbor at #FreshMarketFriday today

1. Debbie, Thanks for your sweet comments! Life can be uncertain, but God is good! He loves His children and wants good for us! I look forward to checking out your site, and blessings to you on your ministry. 😊 Misty

14. Misty – Thank you for sharing your story! Your continued faith through the valleys is inspiring. I too love This Is Us and find myself crying through each episode! So glad to have found you on #bloggingboost.

1. Hi! Gina, Thank you for your sweet encouragement! This Is Us is such a great show, but definitely very emotional!! What is your blog, I would love to check it out! Blessings, Misty

15. Thanks for sharing your encouraging story. I know too well how you felt during that episode. I also lost my child. He was born still in 2015 and now I write a healing blog. That episode hit close to home and although I was happy that the topic was given some screen time, I was a bit disappointed to see the parents adopt a ‘replacement baby’ so soon. I don’t think any grieving parent would be able to make such an unrealistic decision so soon after the death of their child.

1. Hi Lizette, I am glad that you found my story encouraging and am so sorry for the loss of your baby. I am glad to know that you are healing through your blog! I pray that you will bring comfort to many!! ❤️️ Blessings, Misty

16. Misty this was sweet balm to my heart this morning! Our hards are so very hard, and just knowing someone else is there also is such comfort. Life is so very uncertain, and trusting in God to carry us and work through our circumstances makes all the difference. My family absolutely loves the show “This is us!” Your message is both vulnerable and hope-filled! Thank you for sharing on Fresh Market Friday! Welcome, Welcome!!

17. Crystal, Good morning! Thank you so much for hosting Fresh Market Friday. I have really enjoyed “getting to know my neighbors” through your blog and theirs. We all have to go through difficult circumstances in this life. We can choose to allow those situations to make us bitter, or make us better. Our heavenly Father comforts us, and we have the honor to comfort others. Blessings, Misty