What would you ask Ann Voskamp, Christy Nockels or Rebekah Lyons if you could sit across from them and ask a question?

I decided that I wanted to get an encouraging word from these women to share with my fellow Christian blogger friends and ministry partners. God has called us to an amazing journey but it has its own set of challenges that these women are all too familiar with!

I recently attended the broken and free tour and over the course of the evening, we worshiped God with Christy Nockels and listened to inspiring messages from Ann Voskamp and Rebekah Lyons.IMG_1591.JPG

I have been following and Ann Voskamp’s blog for many years and her book 1000 Gifts was life-changing for me!  I was reading it during my pregnancy with my baby Liam who had trisomy 18. Ann’s wisdom helped me take the most excruciatingly painful experiences and pour it out in an offering of gratitude and thanksgiving to the Lord and to others. If you’ve never had the chance to read 1000 gifts or her nearest book The Broken Way, I would highly recommend them!

You can not feel fear & gratitude at the same time.-Ann Voskamp

img_1613

Christy Nockels and her husband Nathan started off in Houston many years ago. I had the opportunity to see them when they came to Champion Forest Baptist Church in the 1990’s and have loved them ever since. Christy’s music has always taken me into the presence of the Lord during some of my most difficult times and some of my sweetest memories of worship.

img_1595

This was my first opportunity to meet Rebecca Lyons. I loved her message of freedom and feel like we are probably somewhat kindred spirits since we both know the joy and the pain of raising a special needs son.

fullsizeoutput_1acd

My one question for them was this: looking back over the course of your ministry, what one piece of advice would you give your younger self?

The wisdom these ladies shared did not disappoint.

Ann Voskamp took her cue from Beth Moore and said if you are writing a Bible Study to teach it to the ladies God puts in front of you. She said to teach it to the people right in front of you, get feedback, and do business with the Lord there working that thing out. She concluded by saying to pour your life out as an offering and let the Lord use you right where you are, and Rebekah Lyons shared a similar sentiment about ministering to those God puts right in front of you.

I love the wisdom Christy Nockels shared about ministering from a place of rest! It is easy to get caught up on a hamster wheel of life, and ministry is no exception. Christy’s message was similar to a word that I received last year from Beth Moore, which was “enjoy the process.” The video below is Christy’s response to me, I hope it encourages you as much as it encouraged me.

Broken things can become new! – Ann Voskamp

Shauna Groves was our host for the evening, and one of the highlights of the evening happened when our family became the sponsor of Emily Katherine Macias Alonzo through Compassion International. Compassion is helping release people from poverty all around the world.

fullsizeoutput_1ae8

Jesus Christ came to heal our brokenness and set the captives free! Are you walking in freedom today my friend? Do you know the lover of your soul? Do you have an intimate relationship with him? He loves you, and He came to save you!

As we prepare our hearts to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus during Easter this year, I challenge you to go deeper in your relationship with Him!

Seek Jesus, Study the Word, and Grow in Grace

Please drop me a note if you are in need of prayer today. I would love to pray for you!

Much Love, Misty

My linkups for this week:

button-125px                        christian-marriage-motherhood-1

1. What a wonderful opportunity to ask these precious women for their hindsight?! I would have asked that very thing if I had been there. Thank you for sharing their wisdom with me!

1. Hi! Gretchen, Thank you for your sweet comment! Blessings, Misty

2. I’m so glad you ended of your post with these thought provoking questions! I do know the lover of my soul, and I pray whoever your blog reaches will also want to know him.

1. Sue, Thank you that is so sweet!! I am glad you liked my thought provoking questions. It is my sincere desire that those who read my blog will know Jesus and know how much He Loves us! Blessings <3 Misty

3. Thank you for sharing. I love Christy’s response to you and it hit home to me. It often feels like I’m trying to keep so many things spinning. Chill out and enjoy the process are the words I’m taking from this. I also loved Ann Voskamp’s book The Broken Way. This looks like it was an amazing conference.

1. Valerie, Hi! You are so right! As women and mothers, I think we place undue burdens upon ourselves that Jesus never intends for us to have. Jesus says, “my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Busyness is the enemy of our day! I have a tendency to be Martha, in the story of Martha and Mary, when Jesus wants me to be more like Mary. Here’s to chilling out, and enjoying the process. Blessings! Misty

4. We’re link-up neighbors again, today! Yay! I love the wisdom that these ladies shared with you, and that you passed on to us. God has grown my heart huge through Beth Moore’s ministry, and I think her advice is spot on. We were all placed specifically.
    Happy Thursday!
    #ThoughtProvokingThursday
    Megs

1. Megs, Yay! How fun!! I love Beth Moore too! I have been doing her Bible Studies for almost 20 years, and used to attend her Tuesday night Bible Studies in Houston. She taught me to fall in love with the word of God and delight myself in Jesus! The Broken and Free tour was great and I loved the wisdom those women had to share with me, especially Christy Nockels. I think we can get caught up in the pursuit of our calling, when all Jesus really wants is a relationship with us. He doesn’t need us for anything, but he loves us and wants to mold us and shape us into His image!
      Have an amazing #ThoughtProvokingThursday! ❤️️ misty

1. Misty I could not agree with you more! Happy Thursday!!!

5. Misty,

I had the chance to listen to Rebekah and Christy and Ann through the Local IF:Gathering and loved loved loved it. And I got to see Shauna speak in person, which was awesomeness. 🙂 I am glad you got to spend time filling up on the wisdom and the words they shared really are both practical and providential. Serve right where you are, show up right where you are, love on those right in front of you. A simple truth we all need to remember. Thanks!
    Blessings,
    Dawn

1. Dawn, So much wisdom!! Yes, there are lost and hurting people all around us that need to know the love of Jesus Christ <3
      Misty

6. Misty,
    It’s so lovely to “meet you” today through #ThoughtProvokingThursday! This sounds like an amazing evening full of wisdom. Wow! — I look forward to reading more from you in the days ahead.
    Blessings,
    Lyli

1. Lyli, Thank you and thanks for hosting #ThoughtProvokingThursday! Misty 🙂

7. […] The Lord is beginning to open all kinds of doors for me. Today you will find me guest posting at Terri Luvs Books http://terriluvsbooks.com. You will see my review of Rebekah Lyons book; You Are Free: Be Who You Already Are. I met Rebekah at the Broken and Free Tour. I had a fantastic experience at Broken and Free, and you can read about it here if you missed it. Wisdom from Broken & Free Tour […]