Recently, I had a pretty major surgery and woke up groggy and hurting in the hospital bed. My nurse handed me a morphine pump for pain. Anytime I began to experience any pain I could push the button and get relief. As I laid in my hospital bed unable to move, I played praise and worship music and prayed continuously to God.

Later, I began to think of all the times in my life when I cried out to Jesus for rescue. When I came to the end of myself and knew I needed a Savior, or when death came calling to those closest to me when I broke both of my arms or during the excruciating pain of childbirth. Many times in my life I have cried out to Jesus, and He has always been there to comfort me and guide me through the storms of life.

David, who was a man after God’s own heart cried to God on many occasions. I especially like what we can learn from Psalm 86.

A Prayer of David.
Incline your ear, O LORD, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am godly; save your servant, who trusts in you—you are my God. Be gracious to me, O Lord, for to you do I cry all the day. Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you. Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; listen to my plea for grace. In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me. – Psalm 86

In this prayer, David knows his spiritual condition and need, but He also knows the only one who can help him. He cries out to God for help because He knows God will answer Him because He knows that God loves Him and will forgive him.

As a mother, I want to protect my children from pain. I don’t ever want anything bad to happen to them, and I don’t want them to fail. My husband in his great wisdom, always tells me to let them make mistakes, to let them fail. My instincts as a mom are to protect my boys from harm and from pain.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.                        – 3 John 1:4

If the storms of life and suffering associated with them are what it takes to cause my boys to cry out to God and put their faith and trust in HIM in their time of need, as much as it breaks my mother’s heart I want the Lord to have His way with them.

I love the lyrics of Bring the Rain by Mercy Me. There is a stanza that says,

“Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there’ll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that’s what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain”

Whatever it takes Lord. Bring the Rain or the pain, just don’t leave me the same.

christian-marriage-motherhood-1

Soaring with Him Ministries

SL_button

By His Grace: Seek Jesus, Study the Word, Grow in Grace
Bible Study Author, Christian Lifestyle Blogger, & Speaker
www.MistyPhillip.com

1. There is such truth here. Our Jesus is so sweet and can be the sweetest in times of pain. Thank you for sharing!

1. Thank you, Edie! So thankful to know that Jesus is near!! He loves us so much!! ❤️ Misty

2. amommyofthreeboys 05/22/2017 at 8:30 pm

If pain leads me to Jesus, then why would I want to keep my children from experiencing pain? oh boy…what a though provoking question misty. i have experienced pain….and i know, wat it feels to be near to Him during those times. I also have three sons, and i guess tho i don’ want them to have pain…there is joy knowing that through whatever they face in life, i need to teach them they just need keep their eyes fixed on the Lord. (sorry for babbling.. great post!)

1. I think because we are care givers our instincts for our young is to protect, but as my boys have grown I realize I would rather they experience a little pain and have Jesus in their life, instead of to never have pain and not know Jesus! Blessings ❤️ Misty

3. Nicole Kauffman 05/23/2017 at 6:59 am

Great song and great truth. This truth is sometimes hard to swallow, but there is such joy in suffering when we surrender it to God! Thanks for sharing 🙂

1. Hi! Nicole, Thanks so much for your encouragement today! Be blessed! ❤️ Misty

4. Love the song and the saying “bring the rain or the pain just don’t leave me the same”. Very powerful statement of faith & a surrendered heart. This is a great post.

1. Thanks so much!! 💕 Blessings, Misty

5. I love this! I’m at a funky place in my life right now, and I just need to remember to cry to Jesus and let Him guide and support me through it all. Thank you!

1. I came you saw this post! Thank you for your sweet comment and Yes!! Take it to Jesus, He cares for you and He will help to see you through! Jesus knows our struggles and our pain, and He Loves You!! If you would like me to pray for you you can email me at Misty@MistyPhillip.com ❤️ Misty

6. Misty, I can’t say that I’ve ever asked the pain to come but I know for sure that I’ve learned some deep lessons during those dark times. God has a way of refining us and calling us to depend on him, just as you said.

By the way, I hope you’re on the road to full recovery. Blessings!

1. Hey! Marva,

You are absolutely right! I wouldn’t wish pain for anyone, especially my children, but if that is what it takes for them to come to the end of themselves and cry out to Jesus, then so be it.

I am recovering nicely! Thanks so much for adding to the conversation today!

Blessings! Misty

7. I have to confess I’ve been just the same and your post is a beautiful reminder to me, I am literally cheating my kids out of the experience of God been their source, their hope and even their safe place ( or person☺).
    Thanks for a great reminder.

1. Hi! Lureta, Remember, we want the best for our kids, and sometimes that means letting them fail or experiencing pain. Thanks so much! Misty 🙂

8. Misty, you consistently encourage me to keep hope alive in the difficult. Thank you for that, as this has been a season of tremendous change

1. Thanks so much! God has been so faithful to see me through the difficult times in my life and He is faithful to see you through too! Trust him in this season of change, knowing that He loves you and cares for you!!

9. Wow! This is truly a thought-provoking post, but you’re right. The hard and difficult times do drive us towards Christ, so why would we want to stop our children from experiencing them?

1. Hi! Lauren, thanks so much!! God’s plan for is good, even if doesn’t always feel like it is! Thanks for commenting, hope you have a great day!! ❤️ Misty

10. Hi Misty, I am praying for your complete recovery today. That song has lifted me up in times of trial. Blessings to you!

1. Hi! Sarah, Thanks so much for your prayers!! ❤️Blessings, Misty

11. Beautiful write up and so much truth here. No one enjoys going through the painful times. But I have learned so much more in the valleys than on the mountain tops! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Inspiring.

1. Hi! Rosie, Thanks so much for your sweet comments! Be blessed today! <3 Misty