Today I want to share the post I wrote last week for PhilanthropyFashion.com on the Fear of the Lord. I hope you enjoy it! Blessings, Misty

As women today, we can be consumed with how we look, and fight the aging process tooth and nail, but if we look at Proverbs 31 we learn that our beauty, charm, and favor will diminish with time, but what makes us praiseworthy is that we fear the Lord.

“Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain but a woman who fears the Lord shall be praised.” -Proverbs 31:30

shutterstock_519408631

I am acrophobic! Acrophobic comes from the Greek: ἄκρον, ákron root, meaning “peak, summit, edge” and φόβος, phóbos, which means “fear.” I have an irrational fear of the edge or precipice. I am not afraid of heights per say, but I am absolutely terrified of the edge of almost anything. Anytime I am more than two inches off the ground I get an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. It doesn’t matter if I walk upstairs in my own home, I can’t get near the railing and look over. It practically undoes me. I get the same feeling if I have to sit in the balcony area at church, or when I visited GTNP or the Grand Canyon. I have an unhealthy fear of the edge, and I am frightened by it. Is this the kind of fear the woman in Proverbs 31 has?

What does it mean to fear the Lord?

Moses exhorts the Israelites to get their hearts right in Deuteronomy 10, and we learn several things in the passage about the fear of the Lord.

“And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.” Deuteronomy 10:12

From this verse we four important things the Lord requires of us.

Fear God – We often think of fear as being afraid, but we are not to be afraid of the Lord. Fearing God doesn’t mean that we should be scared of God, instead of the meaning of fear in these verses is awe and amazement of the Lord. We should stand in wonder toward the Lord with respect and honor! Our God is truly awesome! Because He is awesome, we are to be bold in our faith. In fact, in 2 Timothy we learn that we are not to have a spirit of fear. “I have not given you a spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7

Walk in His ways – We are to walk humbly with God. Micah 6:8 says that “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” God despises the proud and the haughty.  He wants us to be in constant communication with Him as we go about our daily life. When we spend time with Him and in His word, he shows us what to do and where to go. “Your word is a lamp to my feet and light to my path.” -Psalm 119:105

Love Him – “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.” – Deuteronomy 6:5 God loves us so much that He sent His one and only son to die for us, and in return, He wants our love. He doesn’t require it of us, but his hearts delights in our affection for Him.

Keep His Commands – Do what He tells you to do and follow His commands. Just like it pleases us when our children obey us, God wants us to listen and follow Him.

What else does the Bible say about the fear of the Lord?

shutterstock_530875126

In the book of Proverbs, we learn that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.”  Proverbs 9:10

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!”  -Psalm 111:10

When we combine our knowledge of the things of God, with wisdom we apply God’s word to our lives. We will have a healthy fear of the Lord. We will see Him as a loving Father that we do not want to disappoint, but we will also stand in amazement of who He is. If we want to be truly beautiful and praiseworthy Christian women, then we should begin by standing in awe of God.

If we want to be truly beautiful and praiseworthy Christian women, then we should begin by spending more time in the Word of God, and devote our lives to prayer and praise Jesus.

christian-marriage-motherhood-1

Soaring with Him Ministries

Moments of Hope
Simple Life of a Fire Wife

SL_button

Crystal Twaddell

By His Grace: Seek Jesus, Study the Word, Grow in Grace
Bible Study Author, Christian Lifestyle Blogger, & Speaker
www.MistyPhillip.com

1. I daily try to live my life to honor the Lord. Some days are easier than others but it is my true desire to be a Proverbs 31 woman. I desire to set my priorities in the right place to obey His word and live accordingly. Thank you Mitsy…I want to be a wise woman.

1. Hi! Lureta, Me too! And you are right some days are definitely easier than others. Bless you my friend!! ❤️ Misty

2. Hi! Misty. Fear is one of my undesirable traits and God knows how much I wanted to lift off this demon out of my being and buried it as far as I can. Maybe it’s been rooted from my childhood abuse, from living with poverty, and twisted values from home. When I was in my teens, you won’t see any trace of that ugliness on me. I’ve been strong and unshakable of troubles. But when I got married and experienced an unspeakable rejection from my in-laws, fear resurfaces and got a foothold on me. When I decided to be a stay-at-home mom, my fear over things become a nightmare that visits me very often plus the rejection and painful criticisms that always get the best of me. Please pray for me…Thanks.

1. Hi! Kate, Thank you so much for being brave enough to share about your fears with me. The point of this post was that we should stand in amazement of who God is and when we put our faith and trust in Him, then we become more like Him as we spend time with Him. Meditate on his word, here are a couple of verses to get you started. There is no fear in love, perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18) casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7) Give your fear, rejection and pain to the Lord and ask him to replace that with His love and faith. God loves you and doesn’t want you to be crippled by fear! Thanks again for sharing with me here Kate! I will definitely pray for you. Continue to be brave and live blessed today! ❤️ Blessings, Misty

3. This is a great post! I love your example of being afraid of “the edge.” I’m the same way, and people often don’t understand. Though I am getting better, being off the ground in any capacity makes me feel shaky and off-kilter!

1. Hi! Emily, Being afraid of the edge is very unsettling and I am glad to know that you are getting better!’ Thanks for your sweet comments! Have a great day! ❤️ Misty

4. Such a great post, Misty! I love the scriptures you wove into this post. It’s funny that the word fear is used so many times to refer to God, and yet we don’t quite have the right understanding of it. I think of fear, and I think of a scary movie or getting in trouble. But like you said, it’s a healthy appreciation of who God is. And the results of it are amazing! Thanks for sharing 🙂

1. Thanks so much, Jenn!! Have a fantastic day! ❤️ Misty

5. Awesome perspective on what it means to fear God…thank you!

1. Hi! Sarah, thanks so much!! Blessings, Misty

6. Hey Misty— love how you explain the fear of the Lord and how it causes all our other “things” to pale in comparison. The more we dig into His Word and see His attributes, the easier it is to fear Him just knowing how utterly awesome and indescribably wonderful He is! Thanks for sharing… stopping by from #MomentsofHope 🙂

1. Hi! Laura, Thanks for stopping by today and for your sweet comments!! Be blessed! ❤️ misty

7. So much truth! I share your fear of the edge… But oddly enough, I have also jumped out of several airplanes. Beautiful and encouraging post!

1. Li, I understand I have never had the opportunity to sky dive, but I think I would probably do it! Thanks for your sweet comments!! Be blessed! Misty

8. “If we want to be truly beautiful and praiseworthy Christian women, then we should begin by standing in awe of God.” — Love. — The inner beauty of connection with God can’t be outdone by any amount of outer beauty. Wisdom is the gift in return, isn’t it? 🙂 — Lovely words, friend. Thanks for sharing. ((hug))

1. Hi! Brenda, Amen Sister! Hope you enjoy your summer with your boys!! ❤️ Misty

9. Amen, Misty! Fear of anything other than the Lord, will keep us from fully experiencing the goodness of God and the amazing tasks He has in store for us. I want to be bold and fearless, fearing only the Lord!

1. Hi! Esther, yes!! Me too!! ❤️ Blessings, Misty

10. Thanks for fleshing this out so well. This is so important to our understanding of God and our ability to truly worship Him.

1. Thank you Donna! I love digging into the original language. There is so much we can learn from context and looking to the original languages. Blessings, Misty

11. Yes..”stand in wonder toward the Lord with respect and honor.” Thank you for such a great perspective!

1. Thank you Crystal!!! Be blessed ❤️