This past weekend I went to meet up with His Girls Gather, a group of authors, bloggers, speakers, social media marketing and technical support girls from Texas and Louisana. Many of us are members of Compel, a writer’s training program which is part of Proverbs 31 Ministries.

IMG_2804

We had a wonderful time of prayer, fellowship, and training. While I was there I met an adorable millennial Jesus girl named Shelby Howe. We struck up a conversation about how to impact the millennial culture for Jesus.

Many faith communities and Christian organizations are struggling with how to make space for Millennials—not just appealing space in their buildings and gathering places, but also space in their institutional culture, ministry models and leadership approach. – Barna

If we want to impact future generations for Christ then we need to know how to reach them. I have asked Shelby Howe to share her thoughts with you on today’s blog concerning what the Lord has put on her heart in regards to reaching millennials.

shutterstock_405610198

10 ways to reach Millennials

We’re a generation connected in all the wrong places. Consumed with what’s happening on a screen, the majority of millennials miss the richness of real life. Being one of them, and living the struggle of screen-time versus face-time, I’ve often been asked – how do you reach millennials? What gets us off our phones and listening intently to the person before us? I hope it’s to your delight to know it’s not another piece of tech or a silly video.

1. Speak my language

When my phone rings, I automatically think something’s wrong. Phone calls are for dire situations, just send me a text. Keep it short, sweet, and to the point. Once I forget what you told me, I can go back and read it again. Friend me on Facebook, follow my Instagram, that’s where you can keep up with what’s going on with me. Speak my language.

1. Meet me on my terms

Unfortunately, I struggle with accountability so if we’re going to meet face to face, it’s got to be on my terms. Be prepared to cancel and reschedule ten times before we actually meet. Once I know that you’re committed, I’ll get committed too, but I need grace at first.

1. Don’t ask me what I’m doing, ask me what I want to do.

The first thing people always ask is, “So what do you do?” What I’m doing right now is not what I want to be doing, and it just reminds me of that when you ask. Start with “What do you want to do with your life?” then follow up with “So what are you doing now?” This tells me that you care about my dreams, but it’s okay that I’m not there yet.

1. Don’t tell me what I should do unless you’re going to help me.

I don’t respond well to “you should do this” or “have you tried this?” Someone has probably already suggested that and I probably have some lame excuse you don’t want to hear anyway. If you think of something that I should do, help me do it. If I need to study for a certain test, schedule a time to study with me. If I need to make a resume, sit down with me and show me how which leads to our next one…

1. Show me instead of telling me.

It’s one thing to throw words at me just for them to bounce off the rim like basketball, but if you actually practice what you preach, I’ll take notice. If you want me to read the Bible, let me see you living it. I’m a newlywed, and I want to cook made-from-scratch meals for my husband, but I don’t know how. Invite me over one day and show me how you make homemade biscuits. I need to see it. Let me see you do real life and I’ll want to live it with you.

1. Be consistent.

My world is fast paced and ever changing, having a constant helps keep me grounded. If I know when you’re available, I’m more likely to turn to you. When you respond quickly to my call for help, I’ll remember. The next time I’m in a sticky situation, I’ll crave that relief and look to you. Then, hopefully, I’ll work to avoid sticky situations.

1. Hold me accountable.

Remember when I said I struggle with accountability? Once I’ve seen that you’re consistent, I’ll answer your call for accountability. The next time I cancel or reschedule our meetup, I’ll care about your frustration, and it won’t make me feel good. Give me some time to get to this point, but hold me accountable for my actions.

1. Be real, transparent, honest.

Talk is cheap, and I know it. I don’t sugarcoat things, and I don’t want things sugarcoated. If you’re upset with me, let me know why. If you’re having issues with something in your own life, don’t hide it from me. I need to see you solve problems, so I know what to do when I face them.

1. Cover me in prayer.

I’m probably not doing this for myself so cover me in prayer. Pray with me before we eat or when we’re talking about a hard situation. Let me see and hear you pray so I can take note. Pray for me until I know how to pray for myself.

1. Don’t give up on me.

Please, please, please don’t give up on me. If you give up on me, I give up on me. Speak life to me, encourage me at my lowest point, reach out your hand when I’ve fallen down. I will fall, time and time again. I will let you down. Love me anyway. Show me, Jesus.

The overarching theme here is love. Love me like Jesus. I’m not so different from his followers when you think about it. Learn my love language and speak it back to me. Walk the hard road with me, and I’ll meet you on the other side. But most of all… Love me like Jesus.

Bio pic-1

Hey, Y’all! Just another Millennial here and one southern raised, Bible-believing Christian. The soil I call home is in Shreveport, Louisiana.  I know the love of a good family but was transformed by the love of a Savior. The love I receive from him I try to duplicate to others. A passion for God’s word and advancing his kingdom is what compels me to write. Growing in the knowledge of Him is what I hope you, and I accomplish. Connect with me on Facebook and Twitter.

FB: Shelby’s Facebook

Twitter: Shelby’s Twitter

Please like and share this post if it ministers to you, and make sure to visit Shelby on her social media channels. I would love to hear if you have other ideas about how to reach millennials for Christ. Please leave me a comment below with your thoughts.

Woman to Woman Ministries
Soaring with Him Ministries

Moments of Hope

1. Shelby Howe 06/20/2017 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for opening the conversation Misty! I look forward to seeing different perspectives!

Liked by 1 person

2. Hi! Shelby, Thanks for sharing! Our world is changing and we need to be thoughtful about how to reach future generations. Blessings ❤ Misty

3. This came at the right time. I’m about to help launch a youth website and this will come in handy. I’ve been racking my brain because apparently I’m ‘old’ even though I’m a 90’s kid.

Liked by 2 people

1. Hi! Krista, Thanks so much! My favorite part of Shelby’s post was “love me like Jesus”! Young people want to feel like they are understood, but at the root of most problems is the need to feel loved and accepted. Blessings to you in your new ministry 🙂
      Misty

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks dear 😊😁

4. Hi Misty and Shelby! I popped over here from the link on the Christian Women’s Blogger Network on Facebook. Thank up, Shelby, for sharing your thoughts about this! I have also noticed that a lot of millennials are increasingly drawn to the authenticity of seeking social justice in Jesus’ name. I really admire that in the upcoming generation.

Also, I thought you might be interested in another WordPress blog I follow, Rogue Millennials: https://roguemillennials.org/ Many blessings to you!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for sharing, I will check out the website! And yes, authenticity is what it’s all about!

Liked by 1 person

5. I love the advice you give in number 3! Ask “what do you want to be doing?” instead of “what do you do?”

Liked by 1 person

6. So, Meagan, what do you want to do? (Lol :D) Couldn’t resist, and I’d love to hear your answer!

7. I think much of this is applicable to any generation or people group that we are trying to reach with Jesus’ love. It’s precisely what Paul meant when he referenced being all things to all people. It didn’t mean doing or loving all the same things – he was referencing being able to connect with people where they are with what they need. And what every single human being needs is the unmatchable love, grace, and truth of Jesus Christ!

Liked by 2 people

1. Yes!!! Naomi, I couldn’t agree more!! Thanks so much for adding to the conversation today! Blessings, Misty

8. How fun!! Wish I were closer and could have joined in. Can’t wait to meet you at She Speaks, Misty! (And, the others who’ll be there also.) Thanks for sharing your heart, Shelby. ((hug)) xoxo

Liked by 2 people

1. Hi! Brenda,

it was a lot of fun! I won’t be at She Speaks this because my son is getting married that weekend, but I think we met briefly at She Speaks last year. And hopefully we will have another opportunity in the future. 😊

It was fun to open up my blog to Shelby and hear a millennials perspective on reaching other millennials.

Have a wonderful time at She Speaks!!!

Blessings, Misty

9. Misty & Shelby, thanks for sharing and giving us these insights. Many of your points are true for all generations. Blessings!

Liked by 2 people

1. Hi! Donna,

I think everyone in all generations wants to know that they are accepted, prayed for and loved ❤
      Thanks for adding to the conversation!

Blessings, Misty

10. My husband is a pastor of a church who has lost and is currently losing some of our millennials. Thanks for being their voice. I am going to pass this on to him. Blessings to you.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much for contributing to this important conversation today.

For some young people, they are leaving the church, because they don’t like organized religion. They want to open their Bibles on their own and seek God, which is great and something we should all be doing.
      But Hebrews 10:25 warns us about this.
      “not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
      And yet others are seeking “authenticity”.
      As the body of Christ, we are all necessary young and old to use the gifts and talents we have been given and to encourage one another.
      Hope your husband finds something useful here to help reach the millennials in your congregation.
      Blessings, ❤
      Misty

11. Reblogged this on Call 2 Witness.

Liked by 1 person

12. Oh my goodness, I love this for all the reasons!!! As a Mom to a 22 year old and an Assoc Pastor with a growing church plant, these tips encourage me to keep doing some of what I am doing – and give me insight in a few things I hadn’t thought of yet! What a great list!

Liked by 2 people