Storms in life come, and sometimes they come and hit us out of nowhere! They can leave us dazed and confused. Life can change at a moments notice and can leave you feeling shaky, filled with fear, and anxiety. Take heart, we do not have to face the difficulties of life alone. God is always with us.

In Luke 8:22-25, Jesus was asleep on the boat with the disciples when a dangerous storm blew in.  They woke Jesus in verse 24 saying, “Master, Master we are perishing!” Jesus rebuked the wind and the waves, and there was calm. In verse 25 Jesus asks the disciples where is your faith?

Aren’t we just like those disciples sometimes when the storms in life come?

shutterstock_636580526

We can take our eyes off of the master, and focus on our circumstances, our problems, and the storms of life threaten to sweep us away instead of keeping our gaze firmly fixed upon the master!

The winds and waves don’t make Jesus anxious or afraid in fact, he calms the storm. The wind and waves obey Jesus. Not only is He with us in the midst of the storm, the Lord goes before us, he doesn’t leave us or forsake us.

” It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” – Deuteronomy 31:8 ESV

Daily putting on the armor of God, we need to lift up our shields of faith so that when the storms of life come, that we can hold on to the promises of God. He loves us and cares for us, and He knows intimately everything that happens in our lives. Lift your eyes up to the hills where your help comes from. Your help comes from the Lord. (Psalm 121) He loves you, he will never leave you or abandon you.

Psalm 46:1 tells us that, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”

We cannot escape trouble, stuff happens. Life is hard, and sometimes bad things happen. In John 16:33, Jesus warns us that as long as we are living and breathing here on planet earth will have trouble, the storms in life will come. However, we do not need to be afraid, in fact, Jesus tells us to have peace.

” I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Praise the Lord He has overcome the world! We can trust in Him in our time of need, and when we abide in Him, we have peace.

I would love to hear from you! How has God shown himself mightily to you in the midst of a storm?

christian-marriage-motherhood-1

Crystal Twaddell

GraceTruth-300x300-2

SL_button-2

1. So many times God has shown himself real in the midst of storms when I felt that I would sink. When my marriage hit rock bottom, God carried me because I could not carry myself. He helped me make hard decisions that ultimately saved my marriage. He showed me I was worthy when I felt I was nothing. Daily he gently prompts me when I stall and digress from the steps he has ordered for me. He is so good.

1. Misty Phillip 09/05/2017 at 8:07 am

Beautifully said MJ! He is good even when we don’t see the whole picture. We can trust him. Be blessed today my friend. ❤️

2. God appears to be showing in the hearts of many in the Houston area as neighbors help neighbors to survive and deal with loss.

1. Misty Phillip 09/05/2017 at 8:34 am

Lulu, Agreed. There is a beautiful spirit of unity and love amongst the people of Houston. People are helping and loving their neighbors. It’s a beautiful thing.

3. Thank you for sharing these encouraging words Misty! So agree & thankful that He is going before us! I’m here in Houston too, Cypress area, so grateful for God’s constant peace & help through difficult days, blessings to you! debbie

1. Misty Phillip 09/06/2017 at 5:33 pm

Hi! Debbie, Thanks so much! Were you affected by the storm? Misty

4. Yes He is in control and He will never leave us nor will He forsake us! We are preparing for Hurricane Irma here in Central Florida. My prayers are with Texas, the Nation, and the world at this time! God is our refuge!

1. Misty Phillip 09/07/2017 at 12:17 pm

Our prayers are with you! Hurrican Harvey has devasted much of the coast of Texas, but in the midst of that destruction, God is uniting people! The church has been mobilized, and they are out loving on their neighbors, and it has been a beautiful thing to see the hands and feet of Jesus in action. Pray for all in the path of Irma! <3 Misty

5. Well said, and great timing! We pray, and hope knowing ultimately God is in control. These things will come and go, in this life we will struggle, He is our strength. I find that I can draw closest to the Lord in the midst of the storms. Great post, Thank you!

1. Misty Phillip 09/07/2017 at 5:08 pm

God is truly our rock and sustainer! Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment! Blessings, Misty

6. Hello, Misty. One of my all-time favorite verses is John 16:33! I can get teary when I read Christ’s words “…but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
    Thank you for reminding us that God is with us before, during, and after the storms of life.
    Joining you from #ChasingCommunity

1. Misty Phillip 09/07/2017 at 9:38 pm

Hi! Gleniece, me too! I love that verse! It is so comforting to know that we will have trouble in this world, but we don’t need to fret because Jesus has overcome the world!

7. Hi Misty, I am in Florida preparing for Hurricane Irma and I needed to read this today! Thank you! I loved all those verses – so comforting!

1. Misty Phillip 09/08/2017 at 8:52 am

Hi! Alyson, I live in Near Houston and we just went through Harvey. I pray for the safety of you and your loved ones! Keep your eyes on Jesus in the midst of the storm! ❤️ 🙏

8. Shared your post on FB and Twitter, hoping it will encourage my readers in the storm’s path. Blessings to you!

1. Misty Phillip 09/08/2017 at 10:52 am

Thank you Sarah!! Blessings to you friend! ❤️

9. “We can trust in Him in our time of need, and when we abide in Him, we have peace.” Yes and yes, Misty! That’s it in a nutshell. Wish it were as easy to do as it is to say and write. It’s a journey.

1. Misty Phillip 09/08/2017 at 2:08 pm

Julie, you are so right, and some days it is easier then others. But God is good all the time and that is something we can count on! Be blessed today!