We are in the second week of the second month of the year. How are you doing so far with your dreams, goals, and aspirations for 2018? I am amazed at how God is showing up in my life and new and refreshing ways through the lens of my focus word Presence so far this year!

Today I would like to talk to y’all about being intentional. What does being intentional in our callings mean, and what does that even look like?

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,  knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. -Colossians 3:23-24 ESV

It will probably look different for each of us because we are all at different stages in our life. We have different challenges and responsibilities with our home, our families, and our careers. We also have varying degrees of giftings and talents. But I think there are some similarities and principals that we can all use to help us be intentional in our callings, and that is what I want to talk to you about today.

Intentionality is your secret weapon in a war against mediocrity. – – Brian P. Morgan The 12 week Year

Since I am a word nerd lets begin with a few simple definitions.

Intentional – done on purpose, deliberate.
Synonyms include: Conscious, intended, planned, studied, knowing, willful, purposeful, preplanned

If we are to be intentional in our callings, then we are doing things on purpose. They are deliberate. We are not being tossed about from one thing to the other. Instead, we are purpose-filled and make conscious decisions on how to plan our day, weeks, month and year.

If we take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. – Benjamin Franklin

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. – Ephesians 2:10 ESV

Being Intentional in Your Calling

God has specific work for each of us to do, and those things are good things.  He has specific things planned for each of us, that only we can do.

Have you read the book Start with Why by Simon Sinek?

The premise of the book is that anyone can explain what they do, and some people can explain what differentiates them from others, but very few people can articulate why they do what they do. Why is what we believe, at our core and when we can articulate that in a meaningful way we inspire those around us.  This is why knowing our why will also drive our what and how. However, if we know our core beliefs and our why we can motivate ourselves and others in radical ways.

If you have a free 15 minutes watch his TED Talk on start with why, or if you have longer read the book or listen to it on audible. This concept is taking off like wildfire in corporate America, and I think we can learn a lot about ourselves and our calling if we truly understand our why.

Ted Talk Start with Why

As Christians, we all have a similar why. We have a calling on our life to make Jesus known and to shine our lights to an increasingly dark world. God has called us to love him and love others, and that is our why. Our purpose is to love God with all our mind, soul and strength, and love others.

It is Valentine’s week and love is in the air, but when God tells us to love others it is not a romantic type of love, it is a love that is patient and kind. This kind of love serves others and doesn’t insist on its own way.

Last year I reviewed Karen Ehman’s book and Bible Study Listen, Love, Repeat! This book is jammed packed full of ways that we can live aware of those around us and serve them in love.

1 Corthinians 13 is our Christian roadmap that show us the way we should go, and what love looks like.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.  For we know in part and we prophesy in part,  but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.  For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.  –     1 Corinthinians 13

So as we plan and prepare for all of the wonderful things, we would like to do this year let’s be intentional with our time, talents, and resources, and choose to love and serve others well!

What are some ways that you and your family are living intentionally this year? How are you loving and serving the Lord and others? I would love to know how God is using you to shine His light! Leave me a comment below and let me know what good things you are doing!

Much Love,

1. I have heard of the book Start With the Why several times now! I think I need to get the book. My husband has done a leadership teaching on the why. Thanks for the encouraging word!

1. Misty Phillip 02/17/2018 at 6:43 pm

Hey Sharon, my husband introduced me to start with why years ago, and I just began applying the principles to my blog. Thanks for joining in on the conversation today. 😊 Misty

2. Beautiful piece 🙂 thank you for the encouragement!

1. Misty Phillip 02/17/2018 at 6:41 pm

Thanks Sacha! 💕

3. Thank you Misty,
    My Why
    Simply… I have the most amazing & glorious, gentle, persistent, passionate lover of my soul who has pursued me relentlessly (even when I did not give Him the relationship He so desired before I knew Him personally)….in His love & kindness for me…how can I not! I am so loved that He suffered horrendously, bled, died & rose for me! Absolute amazing grace! How blessed am I & are we…

I have started a blog this year, definitely God’s leading & direction for living intentionally for Him in 2018 & beyond, big learning curve, the world of blogging…love all the community within it!

You are invited to drop over with your favorite beverage & tasty treat to join me in a time of reflection.

1. Misty Phillip 02/17/2018 at 10:23 pm

Hey Jennifer,

Beautifully said!

Jesus is everything and because He is I must respond by loving God with my whole heart and loving those around me!

Hang in there with your blog. It gets easier! I will come by and visit when I have time.

Blessings! Misty

4. elizabethfstewart 02/18/2018 at 9:21 am

I’ve been noticing the focus on living intentionally in many different places. Usually, that means God is trying to get my attention!

1. Misty Phillip 02/18/2018 at 9:22 am

I love how He does that!! 💕

5. What a great question to ponder…how is our family living intentionally? Part of our our family does that is a noise fast on Monday’s. No videos games, no tv. It leaves a space of quiet that invites God to speak into our week. It creates space for our minds to come alive to God’s presence instead of being numbed by entertainment. It motivates us to orient ourselves in the direction God is moving. We aren’t prone to seek silence. Our society as a whole pours, in ever increase measure, noise and motion designed to distract us from any hint of quietude. I can’t think of any better way, at least for our family, to be intentional about seeking to hear God than to leave Him spaces in which to speak.

1. Misty Phillip 02/19/2018 at 6:39 pm

That is fantastic!!you are absolutely correct, we have to seek out quiet time so we can hear from God! This is a message He has laid upon my heart a lot recently. Thanks so much for sharing ways your family is living with intention!! Blessings, Misty

6. Wow- I love that Benjamin Franklin quote! And I have definitely been trying to focus more on the present moment, trying my best and working my hardest, and just trusting and knowing that it will add up. I also love ted talks!

1. Misty Phillip 02/20/2018 at 8:15 pm

Hey Shannon! My word for this year is “presence” and it seems like everywhere I go, God is showing me something new about being present and being aware of his his presence. Yes, keep showing up and doing your part and leave the outcomes to God. Blessings 💕 Misty

7. I love this post! I chose a word for the year, which is focus – and I basically wanted to capture in it just what you wrote about. Focus on my calling, being intentional with my time, my resources and my passion.
    You have a wonderful blog!
    Lots of love, Britta

1. Misty Phillip 02/21/2018 at 8:19 am

Hi! Britta,
      I love your word for the year!! There are so many things in this world that vie for our attention. My word this year is presence, and I love how I am seeing it everywhere in New and refreshing ways. Thanks so much for your sweet encouragement. Blessings to you this year as your focus on your calling! 💕 Misty

8. Great word of encouragement. Thanks

1. Misty Phillip 02/21/2018 at 8:19 am

Thanks so much Carla!!

9. Such great advice! I am working hard on this…being intentional in all I do and keeping my eyes on the prize! Thanks for sharing this.

1. Misty Phillip 02/22/2018 at 10:49 am

Hey Jill, Thanks for for sweet comments. Be blessed today! Misty 🙂

10. Misty,

What a great piece with plenty to chew on. Intentionality in our lives is so important! Thank

1. Misty Phillip 02/25/2018 at 6:14 pm

Thank you Julia!! 💕

11. #wordnerd Love it!!! Lots of great truth in this post! For me, this means truly focusing on doing well what God calls me to do, not just chasing every fad that comes along. And remembering I write for Him first, while meeting the needs of my readers. But never losing sight of loving the people God puts in front of me in real life! Thanks for this great gut-check read! Blessings, friend!

1. Misty Phillip 02/25/2018 at 6:15 pm

Love your hear Liz!!! 💕 May Jesus shine his face on you today!!

12. beautifully written 🙂 I love how God is emphasizing “why” to many people all over the world. Our why is what keeps us holding onto God’s call on our lives. It becomes part of our vision and purpose. When the going gets tough the “why” keeps us moving forward and clinging onto God with steadfast faith.

In a nutshell, my “why” is this: God has spoken that my writing will impact many people and that the message he wants me to share with his world is pivotal. This is why I wait for His time and wrestle with my frustrations and bad habit of living too much in the future. I stay faithful while he builds my character and skills. Its hard but He is faithful

Thanks for such a great post

1. Misty Phillip 02/25/2018 at 6:13 pm

Hi! Allie,

Thanks so much for joining in this conversation! I love Your why and your heart! God has me in a season of rest, trust and wait so I understand where you are! Keep your your eyes firmly fixed on Jesus and will raise you up at your appointed time!!
      Blessings to you in the here and now as you wait on Him!! 💕 Misty

13. Hi Misty Phillip,

Just finished reading your blog post “Being Intentional in Our Callings.”

Great post, here’s my comment:

The first weeks of 2018 have been harsh, cold and dark (here in Greenland).

But God has also shown up in my life with gifts I didn’t expect.

Interesting topic, being intentional.

Yes, we’re probably all in different stages in life as you say, but most of us work for the same cause, which is great, sharing the great gospel in different ways, right?

I love your definitions and detailed analyses.

That’s the power of blog posts we have all the space we like and all the time we want to read and write.

Yes, we all have different tasks; that’s a vital point because we’re all different.

My favourite sentence in this particular blog post:

“very few people can articulate why they do what they do.”

It’s so important to know the reasons for why we do what we do in my opinion.

I’ll head right over to the TED talk after finishing this comment.

I don’t know Karen Ehman’s book, but I’ll put it on my list to look into.

How do my family and try to live intentionally this year?

We’re all trying to do less and have more time together.

God bless!

Edna Davidsen

1. Misty Phillip 02/27/2018 at 10:55 am

Hi! Edna, Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with me here today! This post was part of a longer talk I did for a group of authors, bloggers, and speakers that came to my home. I love that you are trying to do less and have more time with your family. In my talk, I spoke about intentionally leaving white space on my calender. Thanks for all that you are doing to share the gospel in Greenland and around the world! May God bless you and your family abundantly!! <3 Misty

1. You’re welcome, Misty.

Exiting to be allowed to give a talk to authors, bloggers and speakers 🙂

White space, great expression.

I’ve stopped using calendars and to-do-lists.

Instead, I use what-did-I-do-list.

The only purpose is to find something to be grateful for.

I’ve found that I am much more productive this way.

Have a good one. . . .

14. Misty, it’s funny you should write about this. Two of our sons started a business called Intention Inspired. The oldest is a Christian and the youngest leans towards Buddhism. (please pray for Matt to return home to Jesus!).

So we are very intentional around here. My wife and I both work from home and together in one business. It is easy to get distracted… especially online.

Routine is very important to me. But I also enjoy spontaneously doing something that the freedom we have allows for. Today I’m going to bust out on my snow machine and explore the ranch!

Thanks for your post. It inspired me to pray for Matt!

1. Misty Phillip 02/27/2018 at 11:13 am

Hey Scott, thanks so much for joining in the conversation here today! My husband is a consultant and works from home a lot and we homeschool our boys. we too believe in being intentional.

We don’t over schedule ourselves or our children, so that we have the freedom to be spontaneous and minister to others as the Lord leads.

I am glad that this prompted prayer for your son. I recently had a conversation with someone who was struggling with a prodigal son. His pastor recalled the story of the prodigal, but focused on the fact that the prodigal son does return. I loved that!!

Continue to fight the good fight of praying for your son!! Our boys desperately need our prayers. I believe the enemy sees them as a prime target, because if you get the man, you can get to his family. I would like to pray right now for Matt.

Heavenly Father, Thanks you for leading Scott here today, and that you reminded meet pray for his son. In James 5, your word says that the prayers of the righteous man is able to do much, and so Lord we asking you to bring Matt back into the fold, and that he would know how greatly he is loved by you, and his family not buddha or some other god. You alone are worthy Jesus, and I besiege you on behalf of Matt. Lord return this prodigal son to his family and to you Jesus. We love you and we thank you you that you care for us and that are willing to go after one lost sheep. Show yourself mightily to this family Lord as they seek to live for you! Let your will be done! In Jesus Name, Amen.

Thanks again for joining in the conversation here today! Be Blessed, and enjoy the snow!

15. Wow – you already have 29 comments. I’ve never gotten that many in the four years I’ve been blogging. Good for you! I think you must have struck a chord in many of us. One thing, however, I think Christians should also be able to answer is the “WHY” on their Christianity. Why are you a Christian? The answers on this, surprisingly, vary. As a Christian apologist, I have a mission to help people answer that “why” in the same way — because it is TRUE. Christianity is a great faith, but if we cannot answer why we are Christians other than it makes us “feel” a certain way, than how is that any different from the Muslim faith, or Buddhism, or any other belief system out there? So, yeah… answering WHY is good. Bless you!

1. Misty Phillip 02/27/2018 at 1:08 pm

Hi! Lisa,

Thanks so much! I am so glad that you are here to add to this conversation!

I love apologetics and agree with you completely.It is important to know what we believe and why we believe it and it is important to be able to articulate it to others, so they know the hope that is with us!

I read a blog post this morning about sharing your testimony of Jesus in a 1-minute challenge and thought that was a really neat challenge.

Thanks again for adding to our conversation today! Blessings, Misty

16. I love your quote in the middle, “If we take care of the minutes, our years will take care of themselves.” Being intentional with our time makes a huge difference in our “why” as you called it and ensuring we are doing what God called us to do.

1. Misty Phillip 03/01/2018 at 8:34 am

Glad you like it! Be blessed today!!