I have made some pretty dumb decisions in my life, and life has not always worked out the way that I hoped or planned. Bad choices and sin in my life have caused me to feel guilt and shame that has weighed me down for far too long. I know without a doubt that I am saved, but the accuser likes to haunt me with reminders of my past failures.

One memory that comes to mind is when my entire world was turned upside down when my brother died.  I was in middle school, and his death had a devasting effect on my life. That same year a girl in my class lost her sister to a debilitating disease. The pain we both experienced in losing our siblings bonded us to one another.

We both decided to try out for cheerleading. I had been in dance and gymnastics for many years. We practiced routines in the front yard for hours on end. I taught my friend how to master a flip-flop, but after falling on my neck and head several times I developed a fear of tumbling. My friend went on to make the cheer squad, but I didn’t. This crushed my already broken heart, and I felt like a failure.

Anytime I chose to step out of my comfort zone and walk in faith the accusations and the insecurities flood my mind. You’ll never be able to do that! Who do you think you are?What are you thinking? You are not good enough, smart enough, or talented enough! Essentially, I will never be enough, and the thought of that stings.

On my own, I may never be enough. But thankfully, that is not the final word. I find comfort and hope in the Bible which tells me that I can do all things through the help of Jesus.

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:13 ESV

Fortunately for you, and for me, we have an advocate in Jesus Christ, and He intercedes on our behalf continually to the Father. Jesus Christ is our champion, and through him, we can do anything! Jesus gives us the strength to do everything He calls us to do, and apart from Him we can’t do anything!

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”. – John 15:15 NIV

When we abide in Christ through surrender, repentance, prayer, and praise, we remain connected to the source, and when He reigns in our hearts and minds, we are fruitful, productive Christians. Does this mean that we will never fail at anything again? Absolutely not. We often miss the mark when we chose to go our way.

The Bible contains stories of flawed men and women who serve as a powerful example to us. They show us what to do and what not to do.  David was a man after God’s own heart, and we learn in 2 Samuel 11 that he committed adultery with Bathsheba and got her pregnant. Then sent her husband into to battle to die. Jonah gets a word from the Lord, and He runs the other way. Joeseph’s brothers sell him into slavery. Lot’s daughters get him drunk and sleep with their father, and the list of broken, imperfect characters go on and on.

Will we learn from our mistakes and lean into Jesus? Our trials and failures can help draw us closer to God. Our failings help us to see our great need for a savior. As we decrease we make room for Him to increase within us.

As we abide in Christ and walk in faith, not fear, we are able to do more than we can possibly imagine through the power of Jesus.

Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. – Ephesians 3:20-21 ESV

So instead of being afraid of failure, what would happen if we boldly stepped out in faith and in radical obedience to Jesus? How might that change our circumstances? And then how might that change our world?

God is calling me to be brave and walk out into deep waters to follow him, and everything will be okay as long as I keep my eyes fixed on Him. I can’t look to my left or to my right, my gaze must be firmly fixed on the master because in my flesh, I am weak and my feet may fail. But through Christ, I am strengthened to walk through whatever He wills.

I am wondering if God is calling anyone else out into deep waters? Do you ever struggle with feelings of not being enough? Or does fear paralyze you and hold you back from walking in obedience or answering His call on your life?

I would like to close this post today in prayer for you.

Heavenly Father, we love you, Lord!  Help us to be brave and live wholly for you in faith and help us in our doubting and unbelief.  I pray for my sisters to cast out the fear of failure and to be brave enough to step out in faith to do whatever it is that You are calling them to do today. That we would keep our eyes firmly fixed on you, Jesus!

Lord bless our obedience and help us to succeed in whatever you call us to do.  And Lord if we fail, gently pick us up and draw us near, remind us how much you love us and help us to get back on the right path. We love you Lord, and I thank you for each woman who reads this blog post, and I pray for a special blessing in her life.  Amen.

How do you combat feelings of failure? I would love to hear from you, join in the conversation by leaving a comment below. Thanks for reading this post to today, and if this has blessed you would please share with others?

Be blessed today!

Much Love, Misty

1. It’s so comforting to know we don’t have to perfect for God to use us! Seeing so many flawed Bible characters does give us hope. (But Noah’s daughters didn’t sleep with him, it was Lot’s daughters in Genesis 20;30-38.)

1. Misty Phillip 03/07/2018 at 12:01 pm

Oh my gosh!! Great catch!! I will have to go back and fix that!! Of course I would do a post on having Hope when you feel like a failure and make a huge mistake. Thanks for giving me grace and for letting me know blessings Misty

2. Oh Misty, I loved your gracious reaction to Lila’s comment! What a great example of how we should handle our everyday “hiccups”. Great post on how to forgive ourselves and move on. I sometimes have trouble with both.

1. Misty Phillip 03/07/2018 at 12:41 pm

Thanks Nola!! I think this is something we all struggle with, but our how we respond is so important! Thanks for joining in the conversation to today! 💕 Misty

3. God can even make our failures out for good if we’ll let Him! There is always a lesson in every mess! Blessings, friend!

1. Misty Phillip 03/07/2018 at 3:09 pm

Hey Liz, I love that thought that there is a lesson in every mess! 💕 Misty

4. The Lord makes us brave and when He calls us into deeper waters, He’s right alongside us. I love that about Him and appreciate your encouragement to walk in faith – even when we feel inadequate or like a failure. Thanks for a great post.

1. Misty Phillip 03/07/2018 at 3:08 pm

Hi! Cathy, my older brother died when I was a girl and my parents were ministered by the footprints poem, and carried a copy with them in their wallets until they died. What a beautiful image that Jesus carries us through the difficult times!! 😊 misty

5. Love this post! My life verse is Hebrews 6:19 and my blog is about being Anchored in Hope too. Probably because it’s my biggest struggle. We all need these reminders! Thanks!

1. Misty Phillip 03/07/2018 at 3:05 pm

Hey Sarah! I love that verse!

We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain,

I will try to check out your blog later this week. Thanks!

Misty 💕

6. I had no idea I needed this today!!! Your post is beautiful and the song is one of my favorite songs. As the tears flow down my face I am reminded what a faithful God we have. He has taken me to places I never would have chosen, where I felt so ill equipped and yet we did it!!!!!! I am honored to serve our God and step out when he says step. Sometimes it is just out of pure obedience I step out other times I am thrilled God has led me to a place where I can serve. I shake at the knees sometimes and I don’t always do a fantastic job but I will go where God has led me.

I may sound all Godly and as if I have it wired I don’t. Your post reminded me I need to get back and sit at the feet of Jesus. Some of what I am doing right now is in my strength not his.

I am a host for Grace and Truth. I hope you link-up this Friday with us. I know our readers will love your post.

1. Misty Phillip 03/07/2018 at 2:20 pm

I love how the Lord knows exactly what we need to hear, and am humbled that He chooses to use us to encourage, love and serve one another, despite not having it al together!

Our obedience is what he wants most! Things don’t always make sense or add up to us.

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments!

I plan to link up at Grace and Truth on Friday. 💕 Misty

1. Misty – I picked your post to feature this week on my website. I will also promote on Facebook and Instagram with a graphic I created. Please feel free to share or copy. The post will go live at 4am Mountain Time. You can grab a Featured button off the post and add it too your blog post if you like. Thank you for linking-up with Grace & Truth.

2. Misty Phillip 03/15/2018 at 6:59 pm

What an honor!! 🙂 Thank you so much! <3

7. It’s so easy to judge ourselves by outcomes… that is, we are good and acceptable only when things go right. That of course isn’t the case. Job was declared righteous by God and his life was riddles with what to seemed to be disaster and his friends called him a failure, but that’s not God’s view of Him… neither it is His view of us. Thanks for the sweet prayer! Loved this!

1. Misty Phillip 03/07/2018 at 3:02 pm

Hi! Karen,

When I was going through a particularly difficult season in life, I had a friend ask me what sin I had in my life that was causing all of the challenges, but Job is the picture example of the righteous facing difficult times!! Thanks for your sweet comments! Glad you joined on the conversation today! 💕 Misty

8. Thanks so much for this! Love it and beautifully written. Real and laced with truth and hope. It’s through our failures that remind us of our advocate, right on. The opportunity is there to draw us into the deep.

1. Misty Phillip 03/07/2018 at 5:25 pm

Hi! Brittinni, Thanks for your sweet comments! 💕 Misty

9. Thank you, Misty, especially for the prayer. I needed that!

1. Misty Phillip 03/08/2018 at 8:14 am

I am so glad! be blessed today!! <3 Misty

10. Great encouragement here today Misty!! You used many of my favorites verses that God uses powerfully in my life. Even the song, God used that last year as a reminder for me that He was calling me into deeper waters of faith. It seemed like every time I turned pandora on, that song came up. Fear of failure and feeling in over our heads not what matters. My freedom came when I realized I bring very little to the table and He brings everything. I just need to joyfully trust Him to do what only He can. My lack of confidence in myself turned into steadfast confidence in Him. What a difference and what a relief! Whew!! 😏😉 Great job Misty!

1. Misty Phillip 03/08/2018 at 8:10 am

Gretchen, Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement! I love that you said your lack of confidence in yourself turned into steadfast confidence in Him!
      Blessings, Misty

11. As soon as I met Jesus (way back in ’79) I started going deep. First I quite college with a month to go. Just two incomplete classes from a degree. Insane? Most though so, but for me I had a whole new life ahead of me…

Next, I took a job cutting trees under power lines with ex-convicts. Had never used a chainsaw in my life. These hardened guys got soft around me because of Jesus.

Decided to pursue pro-ski racing and coaching.

So I moved from Massachusetts to Wyoming excited for my next Jesus adventure. My roommate was a literal demoniac. Learned about demons from him.

Started a few businesses next. Then became a pastor, church planter and evangelist.

On and on it goes. Currently starting an online ministry with my wife using Facebook.

What could be next?

Sharing not to boast, but to mention a few successes among the many, many failures. Not just feeling like a failure, but actually failing!

You simply cannot have success without the failures. It truly is how we respond that counts.

1. Misty Phillip 03/08/2018 at 6:39 pm

Wow! You have lived quite an adventurous life with Jesus! Our difficulties and failures often times bring us to the end of ourselves where God can really do something with us! Failure is a part of life. Tasting failure helps make our success all the sweeter! Be Blessed! Misty

12. I agree with so much that is said here. I am so grateful much like Lila that God can use me in my imperfection. I was thinking today at track practice (I’m the coach) how He needs me to keep believing that He can do anything when I want to give up on myself or my athletes. Thank God that He is continually faithful both in failures and successes.

1. Misty Phillip 03/08/2018 at 6:34 pm

Hi! Yes, don’t stop believing in yourself and for your athletes. Be faithful to do what He calls you to do and leave the results up to him, because He is working all things together for good, both our successes and our failures! Thanks so much for visiting today! May Jesus shine His face on you!! <3 Misty

13. staceypardoe 03/09/2018 at 5:51 am

This is wonderful truth for the hard days when we feel like failures, Misty. I think most of us have those days! Thank you for sharing your story and weaving this life-giving truth into your words!

1. Misty Phillip 03/09/2018 at 5:55 am

Hi! Stacey,
      Failure is a great teacher if we learn from our mistakes, and not allow fear to hold us back!
      Have a blessed day! Misty 🙂

14. Dear Misty Phillip,

What a lovely blog post “Hope When You Feel Like A Failure”.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.

Your blog post made me think of that the Christian faith gives us an extra dimension in life; it’s where we find the meaning and a purpose in life.

As you write, we’ll still fail and all of that, but we do get as many second chances as we need; that’s the true gospel.

I like your suggestion when you write:

“So instead of being afraid of failure, what would happen if we boldly stepped out in faith and in radical obedience to Jesus? How might that change our circumstances?”

Failure is a great teacher.

BUT I’ll be the first to admit that it’s easy to say we should embrace failure.

For me, the truth is that I dislike failure although I know what I ought to think about it.

I’ve struggled a lot with feelings of not being enough.

One element that has helped me much here has been to stop using to-do-lists.

The world is calling on me (us) all the time, but sometimes it’s crucial to learn to say, no, and just do nothing except relax and be with the ones we love.

I shared on Twitter!

God bless,
    Edna Davidsen

1. Misty Phillip 03/09/2018 at 11:56 am

Hi! Edna,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Praise the Lord for grace, because we are all fallible!

Have a blessed day! Misty

15. There is much to be learned from our failures. God is waiting for us to ask for His help. I enjoyed your message. 🙂

1. Misty Phillip 03/09/2018 at 11:59 am

Yes, indeed failure is a good teacher if we learn from our mistakes! Often times we learn more in failure then we do in success.

Be blessed! 🙂 Misty

16. Great post, Misty! I also love to remember the people whose stories we read in the Old Testament – If God can use them, he can certainly use us! We’re broken like they are. And he loves to use broken people. That’s the only kind of people there are. Thank you for sharing your story and this encouragement today.

1. Misty Phillip 03/09/2018 at 12:06 pm

Melinda, Thank you! No one wants to admit they are afraid of failure, but when we are vulnerable with our struggles, it encourages us to fin out we are not alone. Be blessed! Misty

17. Reading a lot of sad stories today, just looking to the one who never fails, pray we all do the same, He restores our souls.

1. Misty Phillip 03/09/2018 at 5:39 pm

18. Amen. We are complete in Jesus, and we can do all things through Him. It helps to remember that. Thanks for sharing, Misty. Blessings to you.

1. Misty Phillip 03/09/2018 at 5:41 pm

Yes it does! Be blessed!

19. Laura Thomas 03/09/2018 at 4:56 pm

I’m so grateful that Jesus IS enough! Satan just loves to attack us with the “Who do you think you are?” doubts, and too often I forget that I am God’s girl. I am His and He is mine. Thanks for this sweet reminder today, Misty… stopping by from #TellHisStory 🙂

1. Misty Phillip 03/09/2018 at 5:48 pm

Hey Laura, I sometimes forget too! We are a forgetful people. This is why what we do is so important! We need these reminders!! Thanks for visiting today! Blessings, Misty

20. This is so good! Failing and being a failure are two different things! One, (failing!) is actually good because it shows that we are willing to try and learn something new… something outside of our Comfort Zones and the other (being a failure) is something we are not even able to do because we are in Him and He is in Us and –well, He is never a failure! Great post! Glad we are link up neighbors!

1. Misty Phillip 03/11/2018 at 10:58 am

Hey Karrilee, I am so glad that you commented on this post! I love that you said, “(being a failure) is something we are not even able to do because we are in Him and He is in Us and –well, He is never a failure!” Love that!! Thanks so much for adding to this conversation! <3

21. As a college student, I feel like a failure a lot when I don’t do well in a class. I feel like I’m letting people around me down but God always reminds me that I will be okay and I will get through this. Thanks for this. This was beautifully written.

1. Misty Phillip 03/11/2018 at 11:04 am

Hey Chelle, College can be quite challenging! I love what Karrilee Aggett commented, “(being a failure) is something we are not even able to do because we are in Him and He is in Us and –well, He is never a failure!” I am so glad that He is carrying you through the tough days! So glad this ministered to you! Be blessed <3

22. Amen! The enemy enjoys waving fear in our faces and watching us cower, doesn’t he? But, He who began a good work in us will be faithful to complete it. So glad for His strength that allows us follow through with the tasks He asks of us. I think that when I’m afraid, that’s when I know it’s important and I need to do it already! 🙂 I’ve done a few things scared in the last few years. And, I know there’s plenty more that I need to step out into deeper waters with. Thanks for this, friend. xoxo

1. Misty Phillip 03/14/2018 at 9:22 am

You are wise to have the word deeply rooted within you, so that when fear comes you remember that He who began a good work in us will be faithful to complete it!

Be blessed as you step into all that god has for you! <3 Misty

23. […] featured post is from Misty Phillip over at By His Grace. Her words encourage us to step out in faith boldly. She teaches us we can learn to walk into deep […]