Homeschooling is not for the faint of heart! I had no idea what I signed up for when I began. My bright obedient firstborn son made my job look easy. It wasn’t until my second child came along that I realized just how difficult the road ahead would be.

Many years ago, I was at a homeschool conference desperately seeking answers to help me figure out how to homeschool my young special needs son. I knew God had called me to homeschool, but I had no idea of how to teach a child with special needs. I felt very alone, on an already lonely journey. Wandering around a vast exhibit hall, I had a divine interaction with a lady at one of the booths. She didn’t have a “magic formula” or a quick fix solution for me, but what she did have was wisdom.

The Christian’s life is sometimes referred to as a “walk,” a “journey” or a “path.” The path is not always smooth or easy—sometimes we stumble and fall in our walk, and other times we lose focus on our journey and drift away.

Psalm 32:8 says, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;  I will counsel you with my eye upon you.”

Aren’t you glad that your Heavenly Father always has His eye on you? Even if we are lost and afraid, we are never alone. God is always with us. Even in our darkest times, He is there. All we have to do is call upon His name, and He is there to guide us and instruct us in the way we should go.

Find theBeard that Suits You-3

One of my all-time favorite Bible verses is Proverbs 3:5-6, which says: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”

This verse reminds me that even when my world is turned upside down, and I have no idea of what to do, if I put my trust in the Lord, and not try to reason things out on my own, He is faithful to show me the way. We must look to our Heavenly Father and acknowledge Him; trust Him.

That is the wisdom that the lady I met at the homeschool conference had for me—advice that I needed to hear. It is so simple, yet so profound. We are not called to walk alone on this faith journey. God is always with us and He cares for us.

Some other things to remember when the road gets tough.

Our children are an incredible gift from God, and they give us a unique perspective on the world. There have been many activities that we haven’t been able to participate in because of our child with disabilities, but at the same time, we have had other experiences just because we have an exceptional child.

God has a purpose for the special needs child. Uniquely created, yet in the image of God. Just like everyone else who is alive and breathing on planet earth they have a calling on their life and were made for a purpose.

God doesn’t entrust his special children to just anyone. You were carefully chosen from the began of time to shepherd this extraordinary child. You are their earthly advocate. They need you to pray for them, believe in them, and do everything you can to give them the best possible life.

Don’t give up. Don’t get discouraged. Fight the good fight. There is a blessing ahead.  “And let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t get discouraged and give up.” Galatians 6:9 TLB When the days get hard, find time to rest.

Surround your yourself with a community that loves you, and that can pray for you on stressful days. When the days get too hard, find time to rest and take care of yourself. You can’t take care of anyone if you don’t take care of yourself.

Remember, wherever you are God is with you and you are never alone. He is fighting your battles for you, you only need to trust Him with your circumstances and with your child. Your child is His child, and He loves them more than you can imagine.

Whether you have a typical or a special child, what are some things that offer you hope as a parent when you are facing difficult times? Leave a comment below that might bless another weary parent.

May Jesus shine His face brightly on you today friend!

Much love, Misty

1. Yes, we are chosen by God to parent our unique children no matter what the needs are. I too felt so ill equipped when my child developed mental illness but God equipped me and he continues to do so well into the adult years. I couldn’t do it without him and the support I find from others that understand.

1. Misty Phillip 03/21/2018 at 12:47 pm

It is comforting to know that we are not alone, and that God equips us! <3

1. Yes, I don’t know what I do without God. Thank you for linking up with Grace and Truth.

2. Misty Phillip 03/25/2018 at 6:52 pm

Thank you for hosting!! 🙂

2. ((Hug)) You’re an inspiration, friend. (And, something about that firstborn that is so much easier in the homeschooling dept., right?!) We’ve already graduated our two adult sons, and are still homeschooling our 16 year old. He has some needs that make it very challenging. One thing I try to do is to focus on him and relationship more than the 3 Rs. Ya know? For us, that balances out into being able to actually get the educational part in, as well. If I focus on the education rather than the relationship part, then it seems neither are accomplished. 🙂 Blessings to you and your son, sweet friend. xoxo

1. Misty Phillip 03/25/2018 at 7:18 pm

Brenda, You too are an inspiration to me! <3 I don't think I realized or maybe remembered that you were a homeschool mom, kindred spirits 🙂 You are wise to focus on the heart and your relationship with your son! Blessings to you and your boys too! <3

3. I am visiting from the Chasing Community link-up and was drawn to your post because I am a special needs mom of a teenager. Thank you for your sweet and encouraging words. laurensparks.net

1. Misty Phillip 03/25/2018 at 7:20 pm

Hey Lauren! So nice to meet you here, I am glad you stopped by. Blessings to you and your special teen! <3

4. Hi Misty,

I am in the Fresh Market Friday linkup next to you. I read in your bio that you are in Houston. I live in Dallas now, but was in Cypress, northwest of Houston for 25 years. We attended Houston Northwest Church but I also went to many events at Champion Forest. One of those was Beth Moore’s very first simulcast about 15 years ago. I think we went to the Christmas program a couple of times.

Enjoyed your post, so encouraging for all of us!

1. Misty Phillip 03/23/2018 at 3:55 pm

Hey Kathy! That is incredible. I have many friends in Cypress and at Northwest Bible. I was also at that first Beth Moore simulcast!! Small world! Thanks so much for your kind words. I will have to go check out your blog 🙂 Blessings, Misty

5. Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing a piece of your story and for offering encouraging advice for us to take along on our own journeys.

1. Misty Phillip 03/25/2018 at 7:16 pm

Blessings to you! <3

6. We have lots of homeschoolers in our family and our church family. So I’ve seen first hand both the tremendous blessing and the challenging job that it can be at times. How important to know that you aren’t alone in your calling as a homeschooler and as a special needs mom!

1. Misty Phillip 03/25/2018 at 6:49 pm

Hi! Donna, You are absolutely right that can be quite challenging, but with God on our side, nothing is impossible! <3

7. Laura Thomas 03/24/2018 at 2:53 pm

Such an encouraging post, Misty, for all parents. There are always challenges, but it’s a comfort to know that we are not alone in the parenting world. And that God has a plan in mind with each of our children. I may not have special needs children of my own, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be a source of encouragement to others. Thanks for this reminder. I’m selling my books at a homeschool conference next month and will be sure to look for opportunities to speak hope and encouragement to the moms there 🙂 Stopping by from #tellhisstory

1. Misty Phillip 03/25/2018 at 6:51 pm

Hey Laura, Thanks for stopping by! I know you will be a light and a blessings to many at that homeschool conference next month! <3

8. Amen, I totally agree. I have worked over a decade counseling special needs homeschooling families. Just knowing they are not alone and there is someone who understand their battles as well as their triumphs is so important in making day by day. I would love to connect with you about being a guest on my weekly Facebook live show for the national special education homeschooling nonprofit I run. Thanks. Peggy Ployhar

1. Misty Phillip 03/28/2018 at 8:41 am

Hey Peggy, We met a few years ago at THSC convention! I would be honored to be your guest on your show. My email is Misty@MistyPhillip.com 🙂

9. Misty I appreciate this post very much! I believe it is a message that is much-needed in today’s society. Not only does it bring encouragement to those walking the same path, but it also brings awareness to those who aren’t. What a blessing!
    Thanks for linking up @betheeinspired. I plan to feature this post on tomorrow’s linkup!
    Blessings, friend. 🙂

1. Misty Phillip 03/28/2018 at 5:28 pm

Hi Rachel, Thanks so much, I am truly honored! Be blessed celebrating our Risen Savior this weekend! <3 Misty

10. welcomeheart 03/28/2018 at 4:49 pm

Beautifully said, and even more beautifully lived, Misty. May this Easter bring special joy, light and strength to your soul. x.s

1. Misty Phillip 03/28/2018 at 5:30 pm

Thanks so much, Sue! Blessings to you as you celebrate the joy of family, and the life Ressurection of Jesus Christ this weekend. Blessings! Misty <3

11. so wonderful! I also homeschool my daughter who is dyslexic….it’s such a learning journey for us parents! Thank you for these lovely reminders!

1. Misty Phillip 04/01/2018 at 2:20 pm